GIFTS OF SECURITIES
A gift of publicly traded securities can provide you with the unexpected capacity to make a meaningful difference to CMH. In 2006, the Government of Canada eliminated the capital gains tax on the donation of publicly-traded securities, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and exchangeable securities. This means that making a direct donation of securities to the CMH Foundation is now the most effective way of minimizing taxes while also supporting the future of health care.
- Capital gains tax on publicly listed stocks and securities are exempt when you donate shares to a registered charity
- The value of your tax receipt will be based on the market closing price on the day the CMH Foundation takes legal receipt of your stock or securities
- You can support CMH through an unrestricted donation, or designate your gift to a particular program or area of interest to you
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Making a gift of securities to the CMH Foundation is very easy.
- When you contact us about your gift, our staff will provide you with our ‘Gift of Securities’ form, which will help initiate the transfer of securities. Simply call the Foundation office at 705-632-2014. Alternatively, you can directly download the transfer form here:
- You will need to complete the form and submit it to your broker or financial advisor to initiate the process. Please also advise the CMH Foundation of the pending transfer by forwarding a copy of this form to us. A copy of this completed and signed form is required to ensure timely processing of your gift and to issue a charitable tax receipt.
- You will receive a tax receipt based on the closing price on the date when the shares are transferred to the Foundation’s account.
- The Campbellford Memorial Hospital Foundation was the recent recipient of a generous gift of RBC shares from Ruth (McCann) McDonald.Read about Ruth's generosity here: